Sunday, August 31, 2008

Thanks for the memories Pastor Carol

This morning, after a wonderful breakfast and coffee at Panera, I headed to the 10:00am service at church. Today was a special day for church, because it was the last day for Pastor Carol Solovitz, pastor of education and enrichment at Zumbro Lutheran. Pastor Carol started at Zumbro in November 1996, only a few months before I moved to Rochester in May 1997. She was the last of the 4 pastors that were here when I moved here. While I (and many many others) are sad to see her leave, I am happy that she is now going to be "reuited" with her husband in Florida, where, because of job situations, they have been living apart for 4 years.

As I have talked to Pastor Carol in recent months, and as I think of how things change in life, how people move on to new things (or how you yourself move on to new things), I realize that we really are the sum of the people we have had in our lives at one point or another. Many people say "we are the sum of our experiences" and while that might be somewhat true, I personally believe "we are the sum of our people". I look at how many people I've met in my life, and can see so many cases where they were there for a reason (or I was in their life for a reason). In some cases, it's for a very short time, in other cases it's for a long time. I am happy to know that the new church in Florida that she is going to be the pastor of is now going to add to the "sum of their people" and that she will have the opportunity to do the same. I certainly love continuity, but I also see the value of meeting new people, making new friends, even if it's for a short time. I look forward to getting the chance to meet the two new pastors who are taking the place of the two that have left, during the next year.

No comments: