Tuesday, August 26, 2008

NBC and the Olympics

I came across this article a few days ago, after Australian diver Matthew Mitcham won the gold medal in diving:

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid59979.asp

OK so I'm not the kind of person who thinks that everything in the world is perfectly fair, even, politically correct, etc. - I'm too much of a realist to think that things actually work that way. And they don't always need to. The reason this kind of bothers me is because it makes me a little sad for Mitcham - this is his one shining moment and they sorta cut it short. He does not deserve any special treatment because he's gay - he's special because he won the GOLD MEDAL at the Olympics, which very few people in the world can say! And he did it against the odds in this case - the Chinese divers were heavily favored.

If you watch the video that NBC did not show, he is just excited and happy like every other athlete that wins a gold medal, and excited that the two most important people in his life (his mom and his partner) are there to share it with him. He's not making any political statements, he doesn't have any agenda, he's just an excited person who won a gold medal. I've watched enough of the olympics to know that at least on NBC's coverage they would show this kind of stuff for most athletes and especially ones that are underdogs. Now I know he's not American, and maybe possibly that's why they didn't show it (I hope so) - that's still kind of a lame excuse though.

I'm really glad I got to see the interview on the internet. I also think a little less of NBC (which I already had a low opinion of for other various reasons)

No comments: