Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Grandma's Marathon Text Msg update signup

OK this is probably cooler to me than to most people, but I thought I'd post it anyway:

http://results.marathonguide.com/runnertracking/grandmas2008/index.cfm

Last year I was discussing this idea with my friend Wayne - one of the most difficult things for marathon spectators to do is to try and guess where in the race someone is, and try to get to spots where you can see them on the route. It's hard enough if you're watching one person, but if you want to try and see more, even more difficult as the race goes on (because people usually run at different speeds). This is a big step in the right direction toward helping that - since all runners wear a chip which records their time at various spots in the race, and transmits this information to a server somewhere, all that was needed was a notification system - which is now in place for e-mail and text messages. NEAT! I bet in the next 10 years we'll have GPS in the picture somewhere to have even more real-time tracking....

No comments: