Saturday, April 3, 2010

Retired


I recently decided to set up a backup machine for my server, as storage is ever so cheap now and it would get more and more difficult to replace everything that's on there. So I had to do some machine/case shuffling, ordered some new low-power parts for the media PC I have, and moved the "guts" of that one to the secondary server case I have.

In the process, I am retiring the above motherboard and video card - it was slowly dying and really wasn't useful for anything anymore. The reason this is significant is because this is the board and processor of the first computer I ever built myself. Born in 2005, an Intel D875PBZLK motherboad with Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor, 1 GB of memory, a beautiful easy-open Chenbro case, and Windows XP. First dubbed "Vorlon" as a desktop PC, then converted to "Sinclair" as my first server, and finally relegated back to secondary PC duty for awhile. Hardware added/replaced, OS's replaced (SUSE Linux, then Ubuntu, then back to XP) this machine was pretty much on for its entire life and just ran and ran without problems, unlike other machines I've had. It worked so well, I created another identical one, "Shadow", for my mom's machine and she's still using that one today (for you non-sci-fi people, "Vorlon" and "Shadow" are the two warring factions throughout a lot of the "Babylon 5" TV series, all my machines are named for "Babylon 5" things).

I generally do not get sentimental about electronics, but this particular one will have a special place in my machine history.

No comments: