Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Champions

Don't know how many sports fans I have reading, but hey this is my blog, you can skip what you want :)

Monday night, the Duke Blue Devils played the Butler Bulldogs for the college basketball national championship. I started watching college basketball in 1991, the year Nebraska got really good and went to the NCAA tournament. Duke beat heavily favored and undefeated UNLV in the Final 4 and went on to beat Kansas and win the championship (really the UNLV game was the championship game IMHO). As often happens, you end up picking your favorite teams based on who was good when you started paying attention. I've followed Duke ever since then, so last night's game was exciting for me for that reason alone.

But...most championship games end up being mismatches and are no fun to watch. This one wasn't. Duke and Butler "duked it out" (pardon the pun) the whole game, the most Duke ever got ahead by was 6, and Butler took them to the end and had two shots to win the game, both ever-so-close to going in. I watched the whole game and was on the edge of my seat most of the end. This, in a game that nearly everyone thought Duke would win easily.

While the game was going on (as if that wasn't enough), I finished installing my new media PC - Intel Atom processor and low-power motherboard. It is pretty neat - no fans, no power supply (runs on a standard AC power adapter) and extremely low power (~ 2 watts for the processor). Great standby/sleep /wakeup capabilities. The old media PC guts will now be a backup server, running a couple of 1.5TB WD "green" series drives, much lower power than standard drives.

Easter - got to see the nieces for awhile Sunday afternoon, "grandma" brought them and met me in Maplewood, and we went to the park, and ate dinner at Perkin. A fun time for everyone (and some much needed naps for their mom and dad).

1 week and 2 days left with my cast!

No comments: