Saturday, November 28, 2009

Much to give thanks for!


Wednesday night Erin and I began preparing for having 8 people here for the big meal on Thursday. Erin did his usual masterful job of planning and preparing a wide array of wonderful thanksgiving dishes, including a cranberry sage turkey/stuffing with cranberry gravy, sweet potato bake, "Kenny Rogers" corn bread, steamed vegetables with the most sinfully delicious alfredo sauce (one of the quotes was "I took a taste of this and felt naughty"), cranberry jelly, milk rolls, and apple and pumpkin pies. Everything was SO good - anyone who knows me knows how picky an eater I am and I had some of everything.


My mom and my two nieces decided to stay overnight and we watched "A Bug's Life" and played with the kitties, and Keagann even somewhat learned how to play Mario Kart Wii. They left Friday afternoon and Erin unfortunately had to work on Black Friday (I avoid going within 1000 feet of a retail store on that day at all costs). I stayed home and watched Nebraska finish off Colorado and prepare for the Big 12 championship game vs. Texas next week. It will be an interesting game, I don't really think Nebraska's offense can keep up but we'll see...even if they lose it's been a very good second season for Bo Pelini.

I've been diving through "Super Mario Bros Wii" - Nintendo really knocked this one out of the park. I know I wrote it once before, but any game series that I'm still playing 29 years later after the original one came out has got to be good. There are so many creative things in this game, and it's challenging but still basic enough that anyone can play it. I've finished 7 of the 8 worlds, and am looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the ending. It's especially fun because Erin and also my friend Trevor are playing it at the same time, so I have someone to compare notes with.

I did my version of holiday shopping today - online, with my cup of coffee, at my desk :) I found a site that I'd recommend for anyone looking for sci-fi-ish stuff and comics, tfaw.com. I'm also looking to collect up all of the Hallmark keepsake ornaments I missed that were Star Trek: Voyager related - I think there are 6 total. We are putting up a real live tree this year, something I haven't had since I was 4 I think. Erin got LED pine cone lights and I've been saving decorations for years.

Finally - since new fall TV is about over, my brief reviews of the shows I regularly watch:

  • Glee - by far the best new show of the year for me. And fortunately 2 more episodes in December!
  • Big Bang Theory - continues to be just good fun, if you're a geek it's especially funny but I think everyone can enjoy it!
  • House - season 6 is going ok, not quite as captivating as some of the earlier ones but still worth watching
  • Flash Forward - I was intrigued by this one when I saw the trailers, but I have to say it's not really capturing my attention. May get bumped off the DVR list.
  • V - 4 episodes in, and I'm just not getting caught up in it. The last episode was better but so far nothing really exciting and new.
  • Ugly Betty - Season 4, I think they're setting it up to be cancelled or for this to be the last season. Not as funny as it was in earlier seasons.
  • Modern Family - just started into this one a couple weeks ago, REALLY funny! Probably isn't the "rewatch" kind but great for 21 minutes of laughs a week.
  • How I Met Your Mother - not sure why I keep watching this one but there are some good jokes/lines in it. I think Neil Patrick Harris is probably what keeps it going.
I've also had recommendations of "True Blood" which is on HBO which I don't get, and "Fringe" which I know nothing about. Erin has also started watching "Dollhouse" and likes it but might not be my thing.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed holiday.

No comments: