Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Election Day

I don't generally notice an off-year election, but I did read through the headlines this morning, including 2 governors races (I thought the states alternated each even year?) and sadly, this one from Maine:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-04-gay-marriage-maine_N.htm

Yes I know we live in a democracy, but somehow things like this and what happened in California last year just seem kinda wrong to me - if people can put anything on a ballot and vote on it and win by simple majority, it seems like they could vote in just about any sort of discrimination. I guess there's not a good solution to this...just frustrating.

1 comment:

thrillhouse said...

A person's rights shouldn't be denied by popular vote. At the time, civil rights and suffrage weren't supported in some areas but their passage wasn't up to the people. The government didn't make these decisions because they were popular, they were made because it was the right thing to do.

As far as voting is concerned... fortunately, I think the people who oppose the issue are actually in the minority. Unfortunately, the people in the generally supportive "it doesn't bother me" crowd don't get out there and make the vote. They are the ones who would make a difference in the misguided, constituency-appeasing "morality" votes.

We'll get there.