Sunday, November 8, 2009

Huskers Win

I don't normally write about sports stuff on my blog, but I have to tip my hat at the game I watched last night with my friend Ryan - Nebraska vs. Oklahoma. This is a series that has had some classics over the years, and while neither team last night was #1 or #2 or even in the top 10, this was another one that be added to the rich history. Nebraska's defense played a near perfect game and held Oklahoma to 3 points, and despite having almost no offense, Nebraska won 10-3 after returning an interception to the 2-yard line setting up the only touchdown. This is a particularly big win after Nebraska's home loss to Iowa State earlier in the season and gives them a leg up on winning the Big 12 north title. Given where the Huskers were 2 years ago, this is an amazing turnaround.

Earlier in the season, thanks to my great friend Will, I had the chance to attend the 300th consecutive sellout game at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, vs. Louisiana-Lafayette. Nebraska won 55-0, but the historical significance of 300 sellouts was really the story that night - there was a jet fight flyby at the beginning, videos during the game with former players and coaches talking about Husker history, and a video at the end of the game with highlights over the 300 sellout streak (that's 1968 when it started, before I was born!)

I tell most people about how great an environment a Nebraska football game is, unlike anything else in sports, and I think most people don't get it unless they've actually grown up there or been to a game. There are no pro teams in the state, and no other major college sports teams. The one major difference though, to me, are the fans themselves - not only are they all fairly well-educated from a football standpoint (boos come from the crowd not just randomly, but when refs make bad calls) but they also exemplify good sportsmanship. Sure, it is easy to be good sports when your team wins most of the time, but the team hasn't been winning in more recent history, and the fans are still the same - welcoming to the opposing team and its fans, and appreciative at the effort the teams give, regardless of the outcome. The fans in the opposing team's locker room end zone always applaud the opposing team when it leaves the field. This is not typical of football fans in college and especially the pros - I've been to many other college stadiums and games and many fans do not display good sportsmanship of any kind.

I'm sure I'm a little biased, but when you hear these things repeatedly over many years from opposing coaches and fans, you tend to believe it. The article below, written by a Lousiana-Lafayette broadcaster visiting for the game, really sums it up well - worth the two minutes to read. Keep in mind that this guy is a broadcaster that follows his team to many games and stadiums and sees a lot of different fans.

http://scubasblog.com/2009/09/30/there-is-no-place-like-nebraska/

Go Huskers!

No comments: