Thursday, March 26, 2009

Handbells for 1

Yesterday at my church's weekly Wednesday Lenten Service (held each Wednesday of the Lent season) I did my first handbell solo, with music director Kristy playing the piano.

I got a bit nervous leading up to the service, so much so that I actually got a little queasy (I think part of it was having a bad work/sleep schedule going on the past few days because of work stress). I realized that I haven't actually done a true "solo" of any sort since I was a senior in high school and played saxophone solos for our district music contests. And boy did I get nervous with those.

I've never been nervous playing handbells though, so I guess I wasn't expecting it. Fortunately once I started, I just focused on the music and it all went fine. I didn't "miss" a single note (I did actually substitute a few notes over others but no one listening could have possibly known that - oh maybe I should have kept that secret to myself :)

In total I played 23 different bells during the song. Almost all the people in the bell group were there, including one of the kids who had graduated last year and was back for spring break. And Erin was there to cheer me on too. It turned out well - I will probably do it again.

I feel very lucky to be a part of such a great musical array at my church - the rest of the service was just such a variety of styles and talent - it was a really nice service.

No comments: