Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fall weather is here!

Despite what you tell me the calendar says Jay, it's "fall" to me :) I just love this time of year - if it could be fall all year I'd probably be fine with that. Highs no more than 70, sunny, crisp, football everywhere...yes!

And what a great fall weekend this was! Friday was a nice day at work, and Friday night Erin and I got the chance to relax and enjoy the evening. Saturday morning I had coffee outside with my friend Bill - wearing my favorite hoodie and loving the cool breezy sunny morning. I made a special trip out to the airport area to see my friend Shelley and bring her what was left of my cookies from Friday (I made 7 dozen for work Friday, and only about 8 were left when I left work). Shelley and her co-worker were very happy to see me and the cookies.

When I got back, I found my weekend houseguests up and about and wanting to see the Nebraska game (which, I had to order for $30 on pay-per-view, and DirecTV's order system for this particular set of games is horrible but that's another story). We got the game, Will, Andy, and Tony went and got pizza, breadsticks, and drinks for everyone from Valentinos, and away we went. The first half was a nailbiter, and was 14-9 Huskers at halftime, and only because of a returned interception by the Husker defense. The rest of them had to leave for a wedding that afternoon (the reason they were staying at my house) so I promised to send Will updates to his phone. The entire 3rd quarter nothing happened - really, it was just a few years, punt both ways. At the beginning of the 4th the Husker defense gave up another bunch of yards and a field goal so it was 14-12 - I was getting worried. But on the next play, Niles Paul returns the kickoff 85 yards for a TD and they never looked back - everything went their way after that. It's fun to watch the Huskers again after 4 years of a coach who probably wasn't the right one for the program. And I get to see them in person October 4th vs. #6 Missouri - hooray!

Saturday night it was party time at friends/softball colleagues Jeff, Amber, and Declan. I've always had a theory that you don't need TV if you have a 2 or 3 year old, and Declan proves me right every time - he actually had all the adults sitting in a circle playing "Duck-Duck-Come and get me" (hasn't quite gotten "Gray Duck" or "Goose" figured out). A nice relaxed, low-key, end of summer party and got to see a lot of friends.

Today I have dedicated to finishing up some musical work I have to do for salsa band and for finishing installing Erin's "new" machine (all parts of previous machines I've had). In the process, I have gotten myself a new 22" Viewsonic widescreen monitor which I'm looking at now and just loving - amazing how much more space the widescreen adds. Erin got my "old" 19" Dell monitor which is still really nice too - so we're all set for awhile. Tonight my jazz band "Notochords" plays for a dance at the Kahler Hotel - this one's not open to the public though so can't offer this one up to everyone as something to do if you're bored :)

Last but not least - Erin and I are looking at getting a cat, after deciding we just don't have time for a dog right now with our schedules. I know we have a lot of cat-owner friends out there, and if you happen to have any accessories you want to get rid of or give us a deal on, please let me know. Friends Eric & Jay have already offered us their older litter box they're not using anymore - thanks!

No comments: