Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stepping off the TV "grid" - update #3

Well, patience, when it comes to electronics and things of that nature, has never been my strong suit (I am very patient about other things, but as my parents will probably attest to, there are certain things that, once started, I have a one-track mind on).

As the last paragraph may have suggested, I cancelled my DirecTV service this morning. This was prompted by 1) using the previously described Windows Media Center setup for a couple of days, and it works perfectly (and I didn't realize how much I was missing without HD locals!) and 2) the fact that last night I figured out that Windows 7 has a built-in UPnP server and transcodes/streams the recorded TV to any UPnP capable device, not just MS Media Extenders. I think this is new with Windows 7 - Microsoft is finally figuring out it's to their advantage to interoperate with stuff (this actually makes me GLAD I have Windows for the first time in like forever). I also took a look at how much stuff was on the DVR that we will NEVER watch (we don't even have time to watch the 3 or 4 new shows we keep up with).

I still have/had no complaints or problems with DirecTV. If my hobby wasn't computers and media devices, DirecTV would still be the best choice I believe when compared with Dish, Cable, etc. But I don't think in the long run any of them will be relevant compared with the internet's media capability and flexibility.

I was a tiny bit disappointed that they didn't try harder to keep me - I have been a customer for 6 years and am the kind of customer they want. They offered to take $27 off my bill every month without even extending my contract, but that's still about $70/month, not enough to compete with "free" (yes I know it's not "free" but it's free for me given all the investment I would have made anyway in equipment and internet service).

So...at midnight tonight, I will be "disconnected" for the first time in 14 years, since college when I didn't have cable.

Am still evaluating whether or not I need to upgrade my internet connection speed. Given that I'm getting some of this off the air and not over the internet, it might not be necessary now.

No comments: