Thursday, May 20, 2010

Stepping off the TV "grid" - post-update (#4)

Just thought DirecTV users (and maybe other services are like this too) would want to know this one.

Apparently, once your service has been terminated (and the receivers run the next nightly update), you can no longer watch any shows you had recorded on your DVR(s). I'm sure this is in their terms of service, and they explicitly make the "DVR Service" a separate line item on your bill...still, it seems kind of dumb that they wouldn't let you still watch pre-recorded shows until you have to send back the receivers. Especially given that they told me that they'd send me return boxes within 7 days and then I'd have another 7 days to return them - so at most I would have had 14 days or less.

I was kind of expecting that this might happen, and I did watch everything I really wanted to watch already, but there were a few things left on there that I probably would have watched over the weekend before resetting the receivers. I guess it's kind of surprising because now I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth, whereas yesterday I was actually quite pleased that they were very thorough and professional on the cancellation process.

Also, just as a privacy thing, it is always best to do a full reset/erase of everything on any electronic device (if possible) before returning it or sending it in - whether it be a receiver, iPod, phone, etc. so that no personal data is accidentally left on them. You only need to read Slashdot for a few days to see how important this is :)

1 comment:

Eric said...

You may have cut the cord at the right time. When I was home for lunch I found out DirecTV has ended their MRV beta program. I wonder when and how much they're going to charge when they roll it out?