Wednesday, May 19, 2010

More $-saving

My good friend Shelley publishes a blog on being debt-free and money-saving, which has inspired me to think more along these lines. I'm definitely not "frugal" but I also like the idea of getting more value for what I'm spending money on.

Besides the $100/month I'll be saving without DirecTV, yesterday I added my mom's cell phone to our existing family plan. Sprint actually encourages people to do this, up to 5 phones on one account, and with our setup, everything is shared (unlimited texting, data, etc.). For my mom, it's $30/month savings from having her own account.

So something to consider - I've know some couples who pool accounts with their friends to save money and split the cost, if you can work out the details it's definitely a good cost saver.

And...this week I will be paying off my car. This is huge for me, because I've never had a paid-off car in the nearly 14 years I've been working. Because of circumstances and my affinity for buying new stuff, this car is actually my 4th in 14 years - 3 new pickups and the Saturn Vue, all of them have been new, and 2 of them have been leased. Probably not the best choice money-wise...then again, I enjoyed them a lot when I had them :)

2 comments:

Jay said...

My last car was paid off, and didn't have a loan on it for 8 years, and getting the truck last spring was hard for me to see a payment on a truck again! I've leased my first Ranger, and I brought that out after my lease ran out, I kept it for 2 more years then I traded it in and I made money on it when I got an Explorer. (Leased that as well)

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

I'm so proud of you buddy! We might have to do coffee this weekend to celebrate. :)