Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Expired

I hate when things like food in the fridge expire, but bigger things are even worse - like car warranties and 10-year stock options.

Sunday, the stock options I got from IBM 10 years ago (which never actually reached their original strike price) expired. I guess I should look at it as an investment that didn't cost me anything - options are like having control of a bunch of shares of stock without actually having to buy them - so for example, if you get 1000 options at $100/share, and the prices goes up to $150/share, you could sell and make $50,000 (the difference in price times the number of options). But these never got above their strike price.

In the next day or two, my car will also go over 36,000 miles, before the car is 3 years old. I've had 4 cars now, and if you take out the one that was a 2-year lease, I have always hit 36,000 miles before hitting 3 years. I thought this time, given that I drive a lot less now that much of my family is in Minnesota, and my longer trips were flights or train rides, that I'd actually make it to 3 years, but not to be.

On the plus side, I sold my old phone for $90 on eBay. Given that my new phone cost $199 after all the rebates, upgrading didn't really cost too much (and I really like this new one a lot better). We also got some much-needed rain last night for the yard and the garden - we already have tomatoes coming in! Looking forward to dinner with the cousins tonight, and a fun weekend hanging out with friends. Only two weeks until we leave for San Diego/San Francisco!

No comments: