Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Supreme Court

Over lunch today I read a series of Time magazine articles on the supreme court justice nomination Sonia Sotomayor, and about the court in general. The Supreme Court and the nomination process are fascinating to me - it's one of those very rare things in our country where once you're in, you're in for life - no re-elections, no term limits. So the process is HUGELY political until a nominee is confirmed, and then never political again. Anyone nominated has to expect their entire life to be scrutinized down to every last detail. And justices are on average there for 20+ years (one of the current ones is 89 and was nominated by President Ford).

I think that doing a fictional TV show about the Supreme Court would be a neat idea - we have tons of wildly popular law shows already, and the shows about the president are always popular too ("West Wing" of course, and "Commander-In-Chief", which was a great show but apparently too expensive to make to continue). Hollywood, are you listening?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There actually was a show about court, in fact, I thought it was about the Supreme Court, but I can't seem to find it. I know I didn't dream it, but my Google seaches have been futile.