Monday, October 27, 2008

Behlod, the power of...

So after a few days of trial and error (mostly error), Erin finally figured out that if you wrap the kitten's medicine in a small piece of cheese she'll gobble it up. Any other method we have tried she was too clever and picky to eat it (putting it on a treat, mixing it into wet food, etc.). Of course Mr. Fluffy Face will gobble up whatever you put in front of him, so we have to make sure she eats her medicine before he gets to it :)

I had a fun weekend - the Huskers were victorious against Baylor (and it was even a pretty entertaining game), Erin and I did some errands on Saturday afternoon (including spending my $40 of Kohl's cash), and headed over to some friends who were hosting a murder mystery-themed dinner party. Wow was that fun! Eight courses of food, and 8 rounds of clues and discussion related to trying to figure out who murdered the "victim". It must have been well-written (or we are all really bad investigators and should keep our day jobs) because the two "inspectors" didn't get it the first time, then we all voted, and NONE of us got it (4 different suspects were voted for and none were the killer), and then the inspectors got another shot after eliminating 5 people, and still didn't get it. I did find it amusing that all of the women suspects were picked first (4 out of the first 5). A fun time.

On Sunday I headed out to Ironwood Springs ranch in the morning to catch the second half of the Peer Ministry retreat. I've been a Peer Ministry trainer for 6 or 7 years now, ever since our fantastic youth directory Lisa started working at church. I think it's a neat program - for one thing, it gives 10-12th graders something to continue doing after confirmation, and the skills you learn and things you talk about aren't just religion or church related, but are really life skills and topics. This is the biggest group I can remember (18). When I drove out at 7:30am, it was 50, sunny, and breezy. When we were leaving at 3pm, it was 30, snowing, and the wind was so hard it was hard to drive.

Only one more week of election crap, and I'm about ready to be done - I have received about 20 fliers in the past week (from both sides), as well as two robo-calls (which I promptly delete from voicemail). Both sides are using some pretty underhanded tactics, I think the two worst ones I've gotten are the one portraying Barack Obama as a terrorist (pretty directly) and the one trying to scare me into making sure I vote republican because only the republicans will appoint judges who will "vote" against abortion (last time I checked, judges aren't supposed to be political, they aren't VOTING). Funny, every time the judges rule in favor of things the "left" supports, they are called "activist"...but apparently it's ok to be "activist" if it's ruling pro-life. I am not saying I am pro-life or pro-choice, or anything at all, I am just saying when it comes to judges you can't have it both ways - you can't call them activist when they rule "against" you but not when they rule "for" you. Why don't we choose good, qualified judges and let them do the job they are supposed be doing, which is interpreting the law fairly, based on the circumstances, without political, religious, or other biases?

No comments: