Thursday, October 30, 2008

50

Amazing how much nicer it feels outside when it's above that temp. Today is supposed to be a really nice day, the best of the week.

Had a really great salsa band practice on Tuesday - we finally have a new regular piano player, and he is doing a great job picking up all the songs (I keep trying to remind him that we've been playing these songs for 2 years and he's only had 2 weeks - when we started it took us 2 weeks to learn one song!) Last night, dinner with some friends at Green Mill - I do like the food there, but I don't think I've ever been there and not had slow or bad service. Our server wasn't bad last night, but everything was just really slow. I guess I should learn to relax and enjoy the evening and not worry about how fast stuff is :)

Listening/Reading/Watching

Watching too much CNN - is it Tuesday yet? The only reading I'm doing, unfortunately, is news sites too, so need to not do so much of that. For music, I am now on "P" in my playlist - I started in July on "A", determined to play every song in my collection while I'm working. It takes awhile.

I have to confess that I'm hooked on a new lawyer show called "Raising The Bar" on TNT. The two main characters are a now long-haired Mark-Paul Gosselaar (you may remember him as Zack on "Saved By The Bell") and Jane Kaczmarek (probably best known for being the mom on "Malcolm In The Middle"). Despite having to get past thinking of those two shows, this show is really compelling. Why do we watch lawer shows? Probably the same reason we watch any "drama" show that's not a soap opera - because we all secretly love soap operas, and shows in a specific genre are more socially acceptable :) My friend Chris always points out that "Star Trek Deep Space 9" is the soap opera of Trek, and he's right - and it is, and I love it! Monday's episode was one before the mid-season finale, and the closeted gay lawyer came out right at the end - very dramatic! I'll be on pins and needles waiting for the next one...

50th Ave Update

I haven't given a construction update lately because there hasn't been much - it just seems like they keep pushing dirt around. But it does finally look like they're getting ready to do the concrete now - at least that's my guess until they shove more dirt around again. Here's hoping...

3 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

I can't stand Mark Paul's hair in "Raising The Bar." I mean, c'mon ... you look like a girl MP!

I will respect your hair choices, just don't go that long. Or i'll cry. Or ambush you the night before my wedding with a clipper.

Eric said...

I was once telling my Mom that one of the things that made Babylon 5 great was a multi-year story arc. She said "So it's like a soap opera!" I had to begrudgingly give her that, but soap opera seems like such a vulgar term to use to describe B5!

RobinScarey said...

OMG - the *only* time I have ever left a big ZERO tip was at Green Mill, their service is absolutely atrocious to the point I never want to go back unless I'm "out numbered" and then I make Amy deal with the servers so I don't get upset LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices Green Mill service.