Saturday, July 16, 2011

One Hit Wonders

A fun little recap of "one-hit wonders" over the past 25 years (groups that had one hugely popular song and then nothing else):

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/7Link4387/chart-watch-extra-one-hit-wonders

I LOVE one-hit wonders, in fact I have an entire playlist on my iPod made up of just that. I don't like them BECAUSE they're one-hit wonders, I think I like them because they're unique and often don't fit into a typical category or sound. The same is true of groups that occasionally do a song that is totally out-of-character for the group. The biggest example that comes to mind is "Friday I'm In Love" by The Cure - I don't generally like music by The Cure, but I liked that song. And I generally don't like stuff by "Cake" either, but they did a whole album ("Comfort Eagle") that was completely different than the rest of their stuff, and I loved it.

There was even a (fictional) movie made about one-hit wonders, called "That Thing You Do", one of my all-time favorite movies, about a fictional 60s band called, appropriately, "The Wonders" and their quick rise to and fall from stardom. Fantastic movie and I love the song too.

So, one-hit wonders...we salute you!

No comments: