Friday, January 1, 2010

PS3 Rocks

...and Hulu and things like it are the future of media. I got a PS3 a couple weeks ago after my media player finally kicked the bucket, and it's a fantastic media center device. A couple days ago cousin Andy was visiting and showed me a program called "PlayOn" which streams stuff from all sorts of sites through one of your home computers to media devices like the PS3. It has feeds for Netflix if you're a subscriber, Hulu, Amazon VOD, Youtube, CBS, and ESPN with more coming. I am amazed at how much is already on Hulu for free, and I'm sure it's only going to continue to grow.

This IS the way they're going to get us to watch commercials again. Hulu shows you a 30-second commercial before the show starts, and for a few shows you see another 30-second commercial in the middle. I can deal with a 30-second commercial for something that's free. In 5 years I can envision all our TVs, DVD players, game consoles, etc. all having this functionality built-in, and getting everything over internet media streams. I'm sure cable and satellite don't want to hear that, but it's going to happen.

No comments: