Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Odds and Ends

My band practice was canceled for this evening, so I now have 2 hours of time I didn't think I had...so you get some of my ramblings for the week :)

Erin and I have attempted to see "Avatar 3D" twice now and have been pre-empted by various things. We intend to see it Saturday night with friends who are visiting from Nebraska...I've probably just jinxed it!

Work has been as busy as I can remember in years, and even though it's a little stressful, I think I actually like it this way - when I have to manage 5 things at once, fix defects, solve problems, talk to people...this morning I was actually REALLY looking forward to getting in and tackling the day. I guess this must mean I'm in the right career.

Haiti...wow. It's hard to believe a country could be as utterly devastated as they are by a natural disaster. If you haven't already made a donation to one of the funds, please consider doing so - Red Cross, UNICEF, and there are several others.

I'm super-excited about handbells this week. We've had some problems getting the kids groups going this year - common themes we hear are kids are over-committed (they are!), families don't get enough time together (they don't!). So I had an idea and I'm happy to say it worked great - I invited parents to join in and play bells with their kids. The response has been FANTASTIC! The kids love it, and are readily teaching their parents how to play, all the techniques, and of course when they miss a note or do something wrong :) It was SO exciting to have a full group of 11 people playing last night - so much fun!

While I haven't been too excited about TV coming up this spring, I am looking forward to "Glee" - I've heard rumors of Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez being on the show. Speaking of Lady Gaga, I love her music! "Bad Romance" is now playing all the time at our house. I have seen some interviews with her now, and she is intelligent, creative, and IMHO very talented. I hope we get to see her show sometime.

I've decided I'm just done with politics for awhile (maybe forever) - how the Democratic party could lose a senate seat they've had for over 5 decades in the bluest state in the union is amazing. How they haven't really done much of anything with a year of having the president and super-majorities in both houses of congress is inexcusable - to me the whole system now just moves from election to election, nothing of substance actually gets done because everyone is constantly campaigning for the next election. Happening on both sides. Sorry to be so negative...but our system is broken :(

But back on the bright side...I have my two precious little kitties, my family, and my wonderful man. To borrow a phrase commonly used by friend Michael on his blog, "life is good".

1 comment:

Eric said...

So Jay and I aren't the last people to see Avatar!