Saturday, August 1, 2009

50th Ave

Finally took a little bike ride down the ever-under-construction 50th Avenue 3 blocks away from our house. They are FINALLY getting close to done - it appears to be one layer of asphault short of being finished - side trails are all done and sod is in.

Something interesting we found out that I didn't know about - even though 41st St doesn't yet go through to 50th Ave, when it does, the intersection will be aroundabout. Roundabouts are quite common in Europe and Mexico, and honestly are a very efficient way of handling traffic on the slightly less busy main roads (impractical for larger roads that really do need lights). Yet, they haven't caught on in America much. Rochester has a few - some by RCTC, one on Fox Valley Drive in the middle of a park. There's also a couple on the exit to the Medford Outlet mall from I-35. My hometown also put one in on a particularly bad intersection next to the new high school - quite a surprise when I went back last time. But the country is really still hooked on lights and 4-way stops. I hope this is a trend. I also hope they finish 41st St soon as that would be ultra-convenient for us.

No comments: