Friday, May 1, 2009

Softball "Heroics"

OK I know "heroics" would be hitting the home run to win the game or something like that...but as a catcher you take what you get, because you usually don't get many important plays. In our opening game last night, I got two, and lost a lot of knee skin in the process!

Third inning, the bases were loaded and the ball was hit right to the pitcher, so an awkward play to start with because I'm reaching across my body to catch anything from that direction, and I actually dropped it but managed to pick it back up in time to make the out and stop the run from scoring.

Sixth and final inning since we were past an hour, we started their at-bat up 16-8, and they got on a run and scored 6 runs, with their best hitter up (he had hit a home run the first time). He hit one deep to the outfield, and was intent on rounding the bases. The outfielder managed to get it to the short stop, who made a really good throw to home, and I caught it in front of the plate. The guy dodged me and we both fell down, and as we were both on the ground I managed to tag him before he touched home. We won 16-14. I scraped up my knee. I thought it was a fair trade :)

The best part was that Erin and dad (here visiting for the weekend) were there to see it. Nurse Erin got me all fixed up with antibiotic ointment and a big bandage when we got home, and after dinner and a glass of wine at Timberlodge, the pain was forgotten.