Sunday, June 20, 2010

Holy Close Calls

OK, I guess I need to pay more attention to the local news occasionally. Thursday night Southern MN was hit with some very strong storms and weather. It was very windy and hard rain that I could see. I was keeping up watching the local TV station, and as the sirens went off, they were insisting that there were no tornadoes in Rochester and they assumed it was because of the high winds (70mph). Wrong I guess:

Graphic of the Tornado's Path
(and original article: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/arx/?n=jun1710)

Now...if you look at the picture, and you know where I live, I was less than half a mile away. The article said it was an EF1 on the scale, the "weakest" of tornadoes (if you can use the word "weak" and "tornado" in the same sentence). Still...kinda scary now that I know. I saw where it must have gone across 50th ave when I was driving to work the next morning, and obviously with the damage it did to the Menard's building and all the town houses in Lincolnshire, it must have been strong enough.

I guess I'll be thankful I didn't see it, and that we had no damage.

No comments: