Thursday, June 3, 2010

Blood Donation Ban

Another article about the need to lift the ban on blood and organ donations by gay men. Besides the fact that the American Red Cross and American Blood Banks Association have long said that that the ban is scientifically and medically unwarranted (in light of better testing coupled with the fact that risk group factors among all populations are getting close to even now), this report estimates that the blood supply would increase by 1.4% and the organ donor supply would increase by 2.9% if the ban was lifted.

I know that on me alone, they lose the 8 pints a year I used to donate - I'd estimate that they've lost about 50 pints from me by now. My blood is fine, I'd gladly be donating 8 times a year.

1 comment:

Jay said...

I'd be happy to donate again if this lifted up!

The organ donor?? I didn't know there was a ban on that for gay as well??