Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve

(yeah lame title I know, couldn't come up with anything better pre-coffee)

Last night (Sunday) was my church's (27th) annual Festival of Lessons & Carols at St. Mary's hospital chapel. Erin and friend Bill attended to watch. While it probably wasn't as packed as some years, it was still a pretty full house and the music was wonderful as usual. Everything went so smoothly that we were back at church unloading and done by about 9:10pm! That has to be a record...I really enjoy being a part of it all every year - this year I directed on 3 bell songs, played on 5, and tolled the bell at the beginning. In-between all that I just got to listen and enjoy the wonderful sounds of choirs, harps, brass, french horn choirs, and pianos. Bill, Erin, and I stopped in at the Honker afterwards and by the time I got home I was exhausted and fell right to sleep.

We've certainly been getting lots of "Minnesota" weather - two big snows the past 4 days, and sub-zero temps. This is more like what I expect here. I was dreading snowblowing Sunday morning but it actually went pretty well. The neighbor's snow blower was in the shop so he borrowed it to do his driveway, and later brought over homemade treats as a thank you. In addition to all the cookies we got at the cookie party we went to on Saturday, we are pretty well set.

Looking forward to a fun week of working half days, seeing friends and family and just enjoying winter in Minnesota.

I did learn a couple things yesterday with respect to Christmas cards.
  1. OpenOffice is a fantastic program for free, but there are a few bells and whistles that it doesn't have that MS Word does.
  2. No matter how much you want to save a little money and reduce plastic/paper usage, it is NOT worth it to try and run envelopes through your printer (instead of just buying a few sheets of labels and being done with it in 5 minutes). Do NOT attempt this at home.
I'll leave you with the Madame Sparkles happy food dance that she does whenever it's feeding time.

No comments: