Monday, July 21, 2008

Cleanup!



I'm behind on my blogging! Here it is Monday already...last week was good and busy as usual - the regular activities such as work, trumpet lesson, band practice, etc. as well as the unexpected AC going out, and then getting fixed 2 days later, and the addition of rain gutters to my house. Fortunately, Erin and I were looking at a whole weekend where we were both off and had no plans...that might be a first!

Friday night was just a "sigh" of relief, as we relaxed, had dinner, and just took some time out - Erin with some video games, me with some reading. We didn't want to stay up too late because Saturday Erin was to be at Chipotle at 6AM, not to work, but to help with the Red Ribbon Ride for AIDS research, an event Chipotle sponsors. I decided to go too to enjoy the fun, and by 7:00am, we had fruit, bagels, donuts, coffee, and water ready as the riders started coming in. Music playing from the big Red Ribbon Ride RV, and lots of Chipotle people (and others) around to cheer everyone on. WOW, I was surprised at how many riders there were. One of them told me they were riding 80 miles that day, to Northfield. 300 miles total in 4 days.

We were back home by noon, and had to take another "break" to recuperate again (although with all the coffee I had, I wasn't all that tired!). We did decide we needed to get something done though, and cleaned up the flower bed next to the house (above) and went to Sergeants to look at additional plants, which we decided we weren't in the mood to buy that day.

The rest of the afternoon, I was reading - I have been at last reading the last two books in the Star Wars "New Jedi Order" series, and being in the middle of the last one it was getting good. At 6:00, we decided we needed to eat something, and then somehow got into cleaning the house - even mopping the floor. We had planned on going to see the movie "Wall-e" with friends that night, and they came over for drinks beforehand. Probably a bad idea for me, because I was already tired from the long day and a drink combined with a 9:30pm movie...well I dozed for awhile. The movie was pretty good, although a little slow. I still want to see Batman Dark Knight soon.

Sunday was the traditional breakfast and coffee at Panera, and more enjoying the afternoon, reading, housework, and dinner. I finished my book - great ending! I was doing the last of my 3 diversity presentations on Monday so didn't want to stay up too late. We did get in a couple episodes of "Lost" and I ordered my new server - actually Andy and Erin ordered my new server - Andy, in all his generosity, contributes to my gadget fund in exchange for letting him live here all the time, and Erin for my birthday. I'll write more about the server later, but it will have 3.81TB of storage when it's done.

Updates

A sad heart goes out to my friend Shelley and the family of her friend Nick, who passed away this weekend from Lou Gherig's Disease. I never met Nick personally but feel like I know him from his blog and from what Shelley has shared with me.

Finished with "Star Wars: The New Jedi Order" series - and have rediscovered how much fun reading fiction is!

The Vegas trip is ON for August 14-20, and we started planning on what to do and see - anyone with suggestions please post or write!

The yard is finally returning to normal after all the digging and re-sodding.

50th Ave update - they've now dug out the entire "swath" where the road will go - it already looks so different. I can't wait to see it done.

Thank you to the unknown person at the liquor store this weekend who carded me, and really did wonder if I was over 21 :)

And last but not least, I can't wait to see friends Trevor & Karli this weekend when the come up from Nebraska to visit - Trevor is bringing his Xbox 360 and Rock Band, should be a fun weekend!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jay said...

The front sure is looking good! You are lucky to have Erin there making it look even better!

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Hey - thanks for your support. I can't tell you how much all of you have helped over this past week. I am so lucky to have you guys as my urban family!