Friday, December 28, 2007

Movies

Two posts in one day! But I was thinking of this one this morning when I woke up...tonight I am going to go see "Alien vs. Predator 2" which came out on Tuesday. This kind of movie brings up a lot of discussion, because you know it probably won't have much plot, as the first one demonstrated. However, my theory on movies has always been that, at least for the first time you watch a movie, your enjoyment is mostly based on your expectations - if your expectation level is in line with or lower than how the movie actually is, you will enjoy it (this is only for first-time viewings, re-watchability is much more based on other things like how good the movie actually is, and your feelings or memories about the first time you watched it). So, in this example, when I went to the first Alien vs. Predator, I expected lots of action, special effects, shooting, killing, etc. and that's exactly what I got - any plot or story was bonus. So that is what I'm expecting of this one, and I'll probably enjoy it too (and never watch it again).

SO...my challenge to you is to post your worst movie disappointment, best movie surprise, or both. For me, my worst disappointment was "Legally Blonde 2" - the first one is one of the funniest movies ever made IMHO, and I was expecting that and more with the next one, and it was total crap. "Star Wars Episode I" is a close second. My best surprise...probably "Terminator 2", that movie completely blew me away, even to this day I remember how amazing it was the first time I saw it. "Ghost" is probably second in that category.

Reading/Watching/Listening

I've had a little more free time over the last week to relax and read, watch TV, and listen to music. For reading, I'm finishing up a funny book called "Food Court Druids, Cherohonkees, and Other Creatures Unique to the Republic" by Robert Lanham - a humourous take on the different kinds of people you find in offices and companies. I also re-read parts of Kevin Trudeau's "More Natural Cures Revealed" - I don't take everything in his books seriously but he does make some good points about the health care system and food industry. I probably watch way too much TV, but this week I've been re-watching season 6 of "Star Trek: Deep Space 9" (the best season IMHO) and continue to wonder how Terry Farrel could leave the awesomeness that is Star Trek for "Becker". Also, watched the last episode of the Dallas "Dream Season" where Pam wakes up and finds Bobby, killed a year before, in the shower. Finally, I've stopped listening to Christmas music 24/7 and am back to salsa and podcasts - if any of you are podcasters, Dan Savage's "Savage Lovecast" is a fun one to listen to.

3 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

I *love* a challenge ... OK, worst movie disappointment - LOTR "Return of the King". I love the trilogy, don't get me wrong - but after the awesomeness of the first and second movies and how they butchered the ending. (Confession: The NOTES at the end of "Return of the King" make me cry - Jackson slaughtered the ending.) As for best movie moment?? Hrm, going to have to think some more on that one.

Unknown said...

I saw AVP2 over the break also and liked it a lot more than the first one but was a little disappointed in the action - I wanted more than was delivered. It was pretty good though and there were some points where they really went against the grain as far as plot formula which was nice.

Too hard to figure out best/worst stuff but I know I hated The DaVinci Code. There are a few movies I've gone into not expecting much and came out really liking but I can't think of them right now.

Wayne said...

There are lots of good lines from different movies we've talked about over the years ("I'd take pleasure in guttin' you, boy") -- but my biggest movie surprise was probably Primal Fear -- I was totally blown away at the end, and in my mind that made the whole movie way better than I first realized. :) I also became an instant Edward Norton fan.