Saturday, November 24, 2007

Not Shopping

I hope this finds everyone enjoying a nice Thanksgiving weekend with friends and family. Thursday was kind of cold and cloudy but Friday and today have been nice, sunny, almost-winter days! Erin and I were able to enjoy the holiday with my mom, who came down from North Branch to spend Thursday and Friday with us. As usual, Erin and mom did all of the cooking (I _did_ set the table and did a lot of the cleanup!) While not the huge meal that it is some years, we had a wonderful sweet potato casserole, cornish game hens the way mom always makes them, corn, lefse (thank you Shelley and Paul S. !) and pumpkin pie with real whipped cream. We then watched "Ugly Betty" which I found out mom actually likes too. Friday, I got up and had coffee with mom at Caribou, checked out a new phone for her at the Sprint store (hers is 6 years old), and then we came back to watch the annual Nebraska/Colorado football game (Nebraska lost 65-51, not surprising, and just as bad as it has been all season). After Erin got off of work, he made one of his wonderful salad creations and we had dinner before mom left to go back to North Branch.

One thing I avoided again this year was "Black Friday", "Buy-Everything Day", or as some people actually refer to it, "Buy Nothing Day", as a sort of counter-protest to the biggest shopping day of the year. I don't know that I'm specifically anti-shopping, but I don't feel the need to go out and fight through crowds to get a $29.99 DVD player (and would much rather be watching football games and eating pumpkin pie :) I recently read a book called "Not Buying It" by Judith Levine, which talks about American shopping and consumerism - I'd recommend the book no matter how you feel about shopping.

Huskers

As I mentioned, Friday the Huskers lost 65-51 to Colorado. So this season, they've lost by multiple touchdowns in 6 of the 7 games they lost, and gave up more points and yards than any Husker team since 1962. So it was no shock this morning when I got up and read the news that Coach Callahan was fired. It's too bad the "business" of football has to work this way, and I don't think he is a bad coach or a bad person, but I do think he probably wasn't a good fit for Nebraska. So now we see if Bo Pelini or Turner Gill will get the job - either one of them would be instant favorites with the players and fans.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Huzzah for not shopping in Black Friday. I did get a sweet deal on my grill last year and I'm sorry to say but I did got to Scheel's this year to look for something for my brother but that's only because we don't have one here. But yeah, just looking through the ads in the paper on Thursday overwhelmed me.

By the way, I saw 'No Country For Old Men' on Saturday and it was awesome. I give it 5 fingers. I know a movie is usually good when I hear people grumbling on the way out about how they "didn't get it" because the movie didn't tell you what to think about it or what the ending meant. Oh God, having to think for oneself, dreadful.