Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hate crimes

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid50708.asp

This is not even in the same category as the article my friend Shelley discussed in her blog this, about the little girl in Texas murdered by her parents - I can't even wrap my mind around how someone does something like that. But the kind of (unfortunately) common occurrence in this article always saddens me. It's not even really because the incident was gay-related, but because this learned hatred keeps getting passed on from generation to generation. I know there are exceptions, but I really believe that most of our attitudes toward other cultures, races, groups, etc. are things we see, hear, experience, and learn from day one in life. I refuse to believe that hatred toward a certain group of people is something we're born with.

I don't really have a point to make, except maybe that we have the power to not pass these attitudes on to the next generation - or rather replace them with positive ones.

1 comment:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

The only hope that I have is that when we all start having kids, that we'll teach them tolerance and stamp out this hateful behavior. As one of your most cynical friends, I still have hope that we'll be able to change the course of the future.