Monday, November 12, 2007

Hooray for short weeks

I realized this morning that I'm going to get two "short" work weeks in a row - this week to spend time with my dad who is visiting, and next week because of Thanksgiving. I don't know why that's so exciting but it feels like back in school getting half or full days off for teacher in-service days...anyway I'm looking forward to it!

It was a nice weekend, including the beautiful weather! Saturday morning I got to have coffee with my friend Shelley - and by coffee I mean "solve all of the worlds problems while sitting at Starbucks." We discussed a book we both recently read "Not Buying It" by Judith Levine, a commentary on American consumerism where the author goes a whole year without "shopping" (besides necessities like food). While I probably won't go that far, she brings up a lot of good points and makes you think. Saturday afternoon was fun because Nebraska finally won a game after 5 straight losses - and in grand fashion, 73-39 over Kansas State. The coach is still out but it's sure fun to watch them win for a change. Saturday evening Erin and I enjoyed a quiet evening and had one of our favorite salad "meals" (another of Erin's great creations) and continued to through Season 4 of Star Trek: Voyager which I'm so glad to say that he likes a lot! Sunday I was finally able to attend one of the Peer Ministry sessions at church, an activity I have been involved with for about 5 years, where 10th graders dedicate a few months of Sunday afternoons to enhance their interpersonal and communication skills. It is always a learning experience for me, and each group is different. Later on Sunday, I got the chance to stop over to my friends Michael and Cory's house and hang out and chat with them and see all of the remodeling they have been doing. This kind of weekend really makes me realize how blessed I am to have so many great people in my life. As we approach Thanksgiving I am certainly thankful for that.

Misc

Contra DS comes out tomorrow (Tuesday), should I be this excited about a video game that is probably going to be about the same as all the previous versions of "Contra"? Of course :) I am looking for a new book to start reading if anyone has suggestions. TV - "Ugly Betty" really is funny, and there actually is an ongoing storyline even if it is kind of random sometimes. Music - my salsa band is taking November off and hopefully going to find a new keyboard player, a position we've had a really hard time keeping someone in.

I have another "topic" that came up this weekend but it deserves a full blog entry so I'll save it for another day...

1 comment:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

If I was smart, I'd be eating more of yours and Erin's salad creations and less of the really good comfort food I've been making for Ryan and I at home. :-)

And I'm glad you enjoy solving the world's problems as much as I do. I think coffee makes us wiser.