Friday, July 2, 2010

iPhone 4: If at first you don't succeed....

I have to chuckle a bit when reading about this whole iPhone 4 "don't hold it wrong" antenna thing:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-stunned-to-find-iPhones-apf-1175483258.html?x=0


Now, I actually do believe them in this case, that they're probably not doing signal strength calculations correctly - in fact I've read some more objective, credible articles about researchers having determined that on their own. But the phrase my friends and I in college used a lot still comes to mind - "If at first you don't succeed, redefine success." And as funny as that is, it happens all the time - benchmarks, performance tests, and, yes, signal strength calculations :)

Some related phrases, "Politics is perception" (from one of my all-time favorite movies, "Te American President"), and "So what I told you is true...from a certain point of view" (Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker in "Return of the Jedi" when he tells Luke that he wasn't actually lying when he said Darth Vader betrayed and murdered Luke's father), come to mind. Really, so much of life IS how we make it - and some (a lot?) of how we perceive things is our own choice. So if it makes us feel better to see 4 bars instead of 2, even if ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has actually changed with our signal strength, maybe that's ok? I guess one of my other favorite phrases may apply here too... "Ignorance is bliss" ... often true.

No comments: