Monday, March 8, 2010

Stargate

I've mentioned in earlier posts that I'm now going through all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 after Erin started watching it. Great show. So good in fact that I decided I really ought to watch the original 1994 "Stargate" movie (with Kurt Russell and James Spader). 1993-1996 was a period I didn't see many new movies, being in college, there was just too much else to do, so I missed it the first time around.

I've liked Kurt Russell in some movies - definitely not this one. I liken him in this movie to Arnold Schwarzenegger in the original Terminator - he's basically a muscle guy that says about 10 lines, and those are pretty bad. Spader did an ok Dr. Daniel Jackson, but I thought he jumped from nerdy scientist college professor to guy kicking ass shooting everyone with alien weapons a little too quickly. Michael Shanks, who plays Dr. Jackson on the TV show, I think has a little better of a balance between the two. And of course Richard Dean Anderson is WAAAAAAY better as Colonel Jack O'Neill than Russell can ever hope to be. So...glad I watched the show first, otherwise I might never have. The movie dialogue in general is pretty awful, and maybe the special effects were cool in 1994, but not now (that alone wouldn't make it a bad movie, but to become a "classic" you have to be good all around). Even the TV-budget effects of 1997's Season 1 of SG-1 were worlds better than the movie.

Week 1 of my cast - so far so good, only taking a shower is annoying really. Another week and they will x-ray again and probably give me another cast.

Basketball tournaments start this week - conference tournaments starting today, and NCAA next week. Now that I'm ruled out from doing just about anything else, I'm looking forward to catching some good games.

No comments: