Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Administrate

Some odds and ends for the past few days...

I'm in an ongoing discussion with some "language" friends about words like "administrate" (vs. "administer") and others ("orientate" vs. "orient", "commentate" vs. "comment"). To me, the "ate" words like this are used because it makes the word longer and somehow sound more important. Most dictionaries say they're "allowed" though and interchangeable with the shorter words. I still don't like them.

Thursday the NCAA tournament starts and I'm in 3 pools. I've watched virtually NO regular season basketball besides a few Iowa State games. Kansas and Duke appear to be good - so I'll probably stick with them. I'll be happily watching my 4 TVs with all 4 games on Thursday and Friday.

Monday I got to spend the day in Blair WI, giving presentations on Engineering for National Engineer's Week to 5th and 6th graders. They sure come up with some good questions and some creative ideas for the project we let them do for 40 minutes. I'm so glad IBM (and my friend Leah's company, Rockwell Collins) let us take a day of our work time and go do this. Kids that age need to know what kind of careers are out there - not just engineering, all of them! I'm lucky I sorta happened into that field - but I would have appreciated someone coming to my 6th grade class and talking about it and doing a neat project.

Wrist prognosis - well fortunately it doesn't hurt. Thursday I find out how much longer I get to have a cast. Besides showers, hasn't been too much of an issue, and I got 2 new keyboards out of the deal. Plus a really neat red cast.

Saw Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" Saturday with friends. Weird, but not as weird as I was expecting for Tim Burton. Maybe I've set the "weird" bar too high with him...

Erin gets home tomorrow after being gone 5 days. I can't wait :)

1 comment:

GoldFishy said...

I'm with you on the word thing. To me, it just demonstrates that our language is suffering at the hands of those who don't know how to use it.