Wednesday, September 9, 2009

50 miles

I have to give a shout out to my friend Wayne who is doing his first 50-mile race this weekend...

http://waynelsona.blogspot.com/2009/09/superior-trail-50-mile-preparations.html

Besides just being an all-around great guy and friend for so many years, Wayne was the first office mate I ever had as a co-op, and was my longtime IBM lunch buddy for over 10 years before taking a job in St. Paul (which makes meeting up for lunch a bit more difficult :)

Wayne is also the one that got me into running 12 years ago - sneakily - so sneakily he probably didn't even know he was doing it - I started tagging along on his short (3-mile) marathon training runs, and just kept tagging along, finally "tagging along" on his 20-mile runs, and then finally doing my own marathon the next year. We've been "runner support" for training, and many times alternated doing marathons different years because it was fun to have someone cheering you on the sidelines, dropping you off, picking you up at the end, etc.

He's now at another level of racing, one I may never get to, but then I never thought I'd run 26.2 miles either before I met him (I never thought I could run 10 miles before I met him and learned that running does not mean sprinting :)

So, all the best this weekend Wayne!

No comments: