Saturday, November 1, 2008

All Saints Day

So many people don't know that Halloween (All Hallows Eve) is followed by All Saints Day, November 1st. So, besides being cool to have two "holidays" in a row, these particular ones have roots in many different religious and spiritual traditions. I'm not sure why I felt the need to point this out, other than I didn't have a better blog title and topic :)

Specifically for me, yesterday's Halloween was fun, if uneventful. Friends Paul, Anne, and son LP stopped over to chat and so I could see LP's costume - last year it was a cow, this year a puppy dog. Anne said next year he's Nemo :) Given the later daylight savings time this year, and the wonderful weather, kids didn't start showing up until about 6:00pm, but they sure came in droves after that - I was out of candy by 6:50! I stopped by Chipotle to see Erin - I guess it was one of the "dress up like a burrito and get a free burrito" days so they were actually really busy. Erin was dressed up as a vampire, a great costume.

I headed over to friends Shelley & Ryan's to hang out while they were handing out the rest of their candy - they were watching "The DaVinci Code", which I decided wasn't really as good of a movie as I remember - the book was so much better - and the book "Angels and Demons" was REALLY better - I hope they do a good job on the movie. By 9:00 I was really tired out and headed home and after playing with the kittens for awhile, went to bed. Erin didn't make it home until about 1:30am from work, and had to go in at 6:30 again this morning :(

Today has been a nice, relaxing morning. I'm deliberately avoiding the news and political stuff and trying to just enjoy the beautiful weather and the quiet morning here. The kittens are even being quiet and napping (oh wait they do that all the time). I'm also preparing the house for friends Trevor and Karli who are right now driving up and are going to stay over tonight - they are going to the "Rock The Vote" concert in the Cities this evening. I'm also getting motivated to get some house projects done - must be the nice weather! Also tonight is Nebraska vs. Oklahoma on ESPN, even though Oklahoma is probably a lot better than Nebraska this year, the Oklahoma game is always a big game because of the great tradition.

I know the election is still 4 days away, but I would encourage everyone to go vote. This is probably going to be one of the biggest, most attended elections in history, and I am so excited to see so many people involved in the process, regardless of which candidates you are supporting.

No comments: