Saturday, May 10, 2008

Highway Cleanup

This morning I joined 3 other people and headed down to a 2-mile stretch of I-90 (between mile markers 195 and 197) to do highway cleanup for GLCS of Southeast Minnesota. GLCS has done cleanup on this piece of highway since 1998. It's amazing how much trash is actually on the sides of the interstate - between the 4 of us, we filled up 12 big garbage bags (plus some hubcaps and big pieces of carpet which didn't fit in bags), and that's only the area between the road and the ditch. I don't think I've ever felt the need to throw something out the window, as it's easy to just empty your garbage whenever you fill up with gas, but I guess some people still do it. It was a nice morning for doing this, not too cold but not too warm either, and enough wind where it made the garbage bags easy to hold open. We then had lunch at "The Pine Cone Restaurant" at the windmill exit (Dexter, if you've driven on I-90 you probably know what I'm talking about) - nice place, and the food was great.

Other happenings since the last blog entry - only one week until the big train trip to South Dakota. It will be fun to get away for awhile. Battlestar Galactica aired episode #6 of season 4 last night, and several people came over to watch. The trim and door work in my basement will be starting next week, hopefully done in a couple of weeks. Tomorrow I will be dethatching the lawn with my new mower blade attachment (thanks Jay for the recommendation!).

Also, was excited to see that my "Top 10" blog entry inspired friends Robin and Shelley to post their top 10's as well - it's kind of a fun, nostalgic exercise to do. And I've had many friends posting all their "Green" tips, which is terrific - the more the better!

1 comment:

RobinScarey said...

I had a ball finding my top 10! Although, to be fair, it was the top 10 of whatever I had on my iPod at the time. I can not imagine other songs missing from the pod though! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Back a few weeks ago I had a "Going Green" post with how Aim and I have started being more green, instead of relisting, I think my post is call "It's not easy being Green...."

Heard ya'll had a good game last night! Sad to have missed such a good one NOT at Homestead!