Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Snow Blowers and Spock

Hooray for snow! One of the things I love best about living in Minnesota is that we get real snow, and this year lots of it. However yesterday, after having dinner and watching Battlestar Galactica:Razor with my friend Bill, I was dreading getting home to see how much snow was in the driveway, because my snowblower was back in the shop - the original set of repairs they did didn't quite fix everything (it would die after about 7 minutes of work). So last Friday they picked it up again. The first time they had it in for a couple weeks, so I didn't expect it back very soon - to my great surprise it was sitting in the driveway when I got home - AND kept going through half an hour of heavy use. So the driveway and sidewalks are super-clean. I highly recommend "Earl's Small Engine" in Byron - they were reasonable on the first set of repairs (especially given the snowblower I had was fairly old and needed work) and did not charge me for this set. They have convenient pickup/dropoff too.

My other story from yesterday - most mornings I stop in at Caribou Coffee to get my morning dose of caffeine. Anyone who goes to Caribou knows they have a daily trivia question, worth 10 cents off your drink if you get it right (usually the questions are fairly easy, although they cover a wide range of topics). Yesterday the question was "Who was the science officer on the Starship Enterprise?" When I got up to the counter, I said to the woman taking my order "OK, my question about the trivia question is, Which Enterprise?". She gave me a look, and said that if I was asking that, I obviously know more than enough to get the 10 cents off :) I then told her I knew all of them...Spock, Data, T'Pol...maybe too much? Oh well, I've always been a proud member of the geek community.

1 comment:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

You're such a nerd, but that is why we all love you. :)