Wednesday, February 24, 2010

$2 bill and other randomness for the day

So, Thomas Jefferson is on a $2 bill. This was the Caribou trivia question this morning and I got it wrong. It's been awhile since I've seen a $2 bill. I would have guessed Cleveland or Roosevelt or a little less famous or remembered president. And isn't Jefferson on a nickel too? Of course Washington is on a quarter and a dollar, and Lincoln is on a penny and a $5 bill. Maybe we need better presidential distribution on our money??? Of course if they phase out pennies and replace dollar bills with coins, maybe it will all even out :)

This led me to this interesting site with nice pictures of all the money: http://elementaryteacher.wordpress.com/2007/08/11/whos-on-the-money/ - seriously we had a $100,000 bill? What in the world would that have ever been used for? And why did 50-cent pieces and dollar coins never take off? I know the original dollar coins were way too big, but the new gold ones seem like they should have worked.

And as I was walking in to Caribou, I had another random thought - what do toll free numbers really mean in this day and age? With cell phones everything is toll free (what matters are your minutes). Why do we even have local and long distance anymore, now that this all runs over computers and fiber-optic networks?

In other news...it's really time for spring, yesterday and today felt really cold. Stargate SG-1 is awesome, I just finished season 1...and the good part is there are 10 seasons!

And finally...I can officially say this out loud now...the project I've been working on for quite awhile at work was officially announced yesterday and will be generally available for sale on Friday. Official Announcement. While this isn't a product that someone will walk into Best Buy and pick up a copy of, it's still quite exciting for me, because it's the first real product I've been a part of in the almost 13 years I've been here.

2 comments:

Jay said...

I had a customer the other day who called the store, the minute I picked up the phone, he said, "This is a long distance call, make it short a quick!". I was shocked to hear that... I was thinking that the "Long distance" calls are the thing of the past!

Unknown said...

Paul, the $100,000 bill was used only BETWEEN BANKS THEMSELVES to transfer funds, in the pre-modern area before machines and wire transfers existed.

It's a good question!

Mary (a former bank officer, now a teacher)
Dedicated Elementary Teacher Overseas
elementaryteacher.wordpress.com