Friday, February 15, 2008

I hate the Income Tax system

I still promise a good blog on my trip last week, and I want to post pictures and have time to do that.

But today...I have to vent my frustration concerning the tax system - both the IRS end and the "preparation" end. Particularly this year, I have run into a lot of hurdles. I won't go into too many details, but there are all sorts of limits and strange rules concerning IRA and investments that I ran into head-on this year. In past years, I have used both TurboTax and TaxCut (last year the online version) with great success. After running into a particularly complicated IRA situation, I was advised by my financial advisor to use a tax professional this year. So I scheduled an appointment at H&R block, which I went to today. I was somewhat disappointed - the person more/less was using the same program I was using, and I don't believe was more knowledgeable about anything than I was (but probably had access to other professionals or documentation that I hadn't made an effort to go find). It's going to get done correctly, but I think with another hour or 2 of looking I could have done it myself.

The other frustration though is that a person can get to this point in the first place. The IRS system is overly complicated for one thing. But it also seems to penalize people like me, who have a good job, stay out of debt besides my house and car, and want to save money to pay for things and for retirement. The "rich" people who have or make a lot of money or investments have a lot of loopholes and tax shelters they can take advantage of. The people who make smaller incomes or are married/have kids have lower percentages and more deductions. That leaves the people like me, who percentage-wise, pay the most tax. I am not at all opposed to paying taxes - I personally believe it is beneficial to society for some things to be publicly funded, and that some amount of wealth redistribution is a fair and good thing for a society (although in some cases I'd rather give money to charity than pay taxes) . I just believe the system should be fairer across the board, and should not penalize people for being single and for wanting to save money. And I believe the system does NOT need to be so complicated - so much money is wasted on the sheer complexity of the IRS, not to mention tax "professionals" who have to deal with the complexity.

I could go on for hours but I'll leave it at that :)

1 comment:

S. said...

My best friend just wrote a true post about having the income tax - he gives seven reasons why you're right.

like you say, "The IRS system is overly complicated for one thing. But it also seems to penalize people like me, who have a good job, stay out of debt besides my house and car, and want to save money to pay for things and for retirement." That is so true!

latest post here is all about the six reasons!
http://www.publicani.com/